8 - 9 small red apples
2 c. granualted sugar
2 tbsp. butter
2/3 c. water
2 tbsp. corn syrup
2 - 3 drops of red food coloring
1. Wash and dry the apples thoroughly and impale them on the skewers.
2. Place the sugar and water in a saucepan and stir over heat until the sugar is dissolved.
3. Add the butter and corn syrup and cook rapidly, without stirring, until it reaches 300 F (hard crack stage).
4. When the mixture stops bubbling, add the red food coloring .
5. Stand the saucepan in a large bowl of hot water to prevent the taffy from setting too quickly.
6. Dip the apples in the taffy to coat thoroughly and stand them upright to set.
7. When cold, wrap in cellophane or wax paper.